08 September 2010

Perfection - 30 Days of Self Love

Day 8: Perfection
In what things do you try to seek perfection? Why do you even want it? How does desiring perfection actually hurt that area of your life? What would letting go of the hope for perfection do for you?
I am not nearly as much of a perfectionist as some in my family, but do try and control the urges to do things perfectly. To do things perfectly takes time away from other things, and just isn't possible in many situations. When I sew and craft, I'd love to do things perfectly, but I have gotten to the point where I can leave a few small imperfections alone without redoing them. As my grandmother always says "A blind man would love to see it!"

Two of my children struggle with perfectionism. My son really struggles as he sees the only way to do something is if he can do it perfectly. This has caused him much frustration. With lots of work, he is starting to realize that he doesn't need to be perfect - he just needs to try.

My youngest daughter (age 4) is currently going through a stage - I hope its a stage - where she won't do anything if it isn't perfect and gives up saying "I can't do it!" She really can do it, but is judging herself against her older siblings and knows that she isn't as skilled as they are so she won't attempt the task.


Quote to Reflect On
Once you accept the fact that you’re not perfect, then you develop some confidence. ~Rosalynn Carter
This quote is so true in our family.  Developing confidence does help, but is really difficult to teach a child.

My Reflections on 30 Days of Self Love Challenge:

Todays topic of perfection is a wonderful topic for today.  I'd fallen behind over the weekend with some of my responses to the topics.  BUT I have been thinking about them, there is nothing that requires me to write everyday and so todays post has helped me realize that I don't need to do this perfectly.  I just need to reflect and when I have time, I will write up some of my relfections.

Thanks Tina for this Challenge!

1 comment:

  1. My 8 year old sounds like your daughter. Every time I try to get him a new sport or activity, he says, "but I'm not good at it" and I say "that's why we practice" but he's still resistant.

    My daughter doesn't care - she just goes for it. I dream to be more like her when I grow up ;-)

    ReplyDelete