21 June 2010

10K Longest Day Road Race at UBC

Tonight my husband and I went out to UBC to run a 10K -- it was our first 10K race and our first race together.


This did take some planning and lots of driving on my part... After picking the kids from school I drove the kids out to my mom's for a sleep over, but mom lives in the opposite direction from the race, so then turned around drove back and headed to pick my husband up on our way out to UBC (luckily his work was on the route). We arrived early as traffic wasn't a problem and we generally prefer to arrive early.

We had plenty of time to go for a walk before the race as we had our numbers and bathroom break, etc all complete one hour before the race. We went out for a 2.75km walk and did check out part of the route in our warm-up walk.

The plan was to run it together. By 1K he was already a number of paces ahead of me, and I couldn't keep up and never caught up with him. Well I could have probably caught up with him momentarily but I did know I wanted to finish the race in a decent time and not crash before the end of it...

We were running at a ridiculously fast pace (for me)... and I hadn't run anything close to 10K in nearly a month due to my injury (last 12K run was May 22nd). My leg didn't bother me at all on Friday evening and had a great run, with some wonderful times, but not very consistent in splits! The route was a double 5K loop that had a wonderful downhill in KM 1 & 6, and some tough uphills in KM 2 & 7. My total time was 0:57:00 -- a personal best.



Official Results
I finished 308 of the 511 entered in the 10K. My 5K split time was 27:17.96 and 10K finish time was 57:00.95, with a pace of 5:43!

KM Pace
1 00:05:03
2 00:05:49
3 00:05:35
4 00:05:43
5 00:05:34
6 00:05:26
7 00:06:33
8 00:05:56
9 00:06:19
10 00:04:56

My husband (and his longer legs that I didn't keep up with) finished in a personal best time of 52:35! I've joked with him that he's not allowed to do any speed training! I can't keep up with him as it is...

No comments:

Post a Comment