20 March 2011

Disney Princess Race Report

It has been 3 weeks since the race, and I'm finally getting around to posting my race report...  


The day started with the alarm going off way too early, and not much sleep.  Getting to sleep at 10-11pm local time might sound like an easy task after a day out and about at Disney World... but with the excitement of the upcoming half, and not yet being adjusted to the time zone, it was difficult!   The alarm clock went off at 03:00hrs and it was almost a relief - it was now time to get up.  We quickly got ready, had a light breakfast in our room and headed off to wait for a bus... and then wait we did!  It was then that I got tired.  It was warm and muggy at 16C and 90+% humidity, but great standing outside in my shorts and tshirt that I'd planned to run in.  No gloves, no sweater, nothing to check.  

The bus eventually arrived (after waiting well over 45min, then we were STUCK in traffic.  I think they had some serious issues with the transportation, they really needed a bus lane setup!  We didn't get off the bus until after 05:00hrs and then walked to our corral which we finally arrived at around 05:32.  We didn't wait long for the wheel chair riders to start and the first wave to go!  We didn't have much longer to wait as we were in the second corral.


I said goodbye to my husband at the start line and ran off...  he would be walking (or so he said).


There was a great energy, even at the early hours, and an amazing number of runners dressed up.  Some costumes looked not too bad for running in, while others looked mighty uncomfortable.  One set of Tinkerbell wings were discarded before the 1 Mile Marker.

The Mile Markers were great works of art and loved that each had a clock - a wonderful feature.  I found the Mile Markers difficult as I'm used to running races that mark kilometers.  I don't know why it bothered me so as my Garmin was still set in kilometers and kept track of my pace as usual, but found myself doing math at every Mile Marker to figure out my pace...  which was strange since my Garmin told me that!

I only stopped for one Character Photo in the race... I wanted a photo with Mickey or Minnie but never saw either on the route, and the lineup for the few princesses I saw were 5 or more runners deep.  So I kept running.  I did stop at the carriage for a photo...

The route was fairly flat, with a few over- or under-passes to traverse.  I think the only "nasty" one was the cloverleaf at Mile 10... I found it nasty because if its length and the road was angled perfectly for driving, but left me feeling like my right leg needed to be longer....  I did like the Sergeant (from Toy Story) at the top of  ramp - he was wonderful - motivating and completely in character as a drill sergeant.  Also loved that his motor-home/support vehicle was draped with camo netting!
 I didn't take too many photos personally... I did manage a few, but found holding the camera and taking photos rather complex WHILE running!  Guess that is a skill I should master before the Disneyland Half!
After I finished, I saw my family (my kids, my mom & her husband) waiting for me just beyond the finish line on the opposite side of the fence.  The racks of medals was amazing!  I was quickly through the food line and off to meet up with the kids.  Then I finally checked my phone and my husband had gone at a much faster pace than anticipated, so we hustled to the finish line, just in time to catch a glimpse of him after he got his medal...  Then we met up with him.
After the race we headed over to look for a bus (but the roads were still closed), and then to the monorail, and off to Animal Kingdom for the day!

A day of Disney, plus a half marathon is a LONG day, and I got a great sleep after!







1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the Princess Half!!! It looks like you had a fabulous time! :)

    ReplyDelete