22 May 2010

To Market, To Market, the 12K route home

Today was the first day of the farmer's market here on Gabriola Island... So we drove up and wandered the stalls at the market, and then I ran home. Wanting to get in a 12km run, I ventured off heading a route I haven't run before. I did look it up on the map before I headed out knowing that the area has lots of streets that are long loops and dead ends (and its rural so it can be a long detour if you end up on a circle route).

Here is the map of my route -


The nasty part of this route was the hill at 10km! Normally the hill is in my first 2kms so I'm fresh, but today since I ran home it was at the end... the 1km uphill was LONG and I ended up walking most of it today.


And for my birthday my brother gave me a gift card from lululemon and I purchased a Long Sleeve Summer Weight Running top. I love it!

No I didn't run in my crocs....



An interesting driftwood sculpture


Some wild life on todays run


Heading down to the water.



And if you go downhill, you must go up again....



Past the Ferry Terminal





And up the marked trail.

Nice trail, well marked....

10Km into my run -- it starts going UP

AND UP!

And after a little dip UP again!




Now at 11KM and it starts DOWN




AND DOWN some more....
And down the hill we go... according to the map this is a "road" connecting two neighbourhoods, but it is completely on private land and is very rough and although it connects the two areas it is very rought.


back to the driveway


And back home at the beach




And stats for the hills on this run: TOTAL Ascents: 1201m TOTAL Descents: 1247m

1 comment: